Clifford Township Permits


Clifford Township requires permits.  To better assist you in determining the proper forms and procedures required, the first step is to complete the Clifford Township Preliminary Information and return it to the township secretary.  There is no fee and you will receive timely feedback.

The list of permits includes demolition, deck, porch, driveway, addition, building, swimming pools, driveway, sewage, building/electrical, mechanical/plumbing, subdivisions, land use and land development.

By Pennsylvania state law, building permit applicants must fill out a Worker’s Compensation Insurance-Coverage Information Form  showing insurance coverage or exemption from such coverage.


When building on a township road, one can apply for a Driveway Permit from the Township by downloading the Township Driveway Permit, filling it out and either dropping it off at the township office, or mailing it to Clifford Township, Box 339, Clifford, PA 18413 along with payment of $50.00 for Residential or $80.00 for Commercial. The Road Master will issue the permit after inspecting the property and the requested location of driveway.  If you are building on a state road use the State Driveway Permit.


To obtain a  Sewer Permit contact one of the following Sewer Permit Officers: 

Jay Lynch at, 570-313-5486

Justin Ford ​at,570-862-8520 or

JHA Company at 570-278-3100, 

For information about low interest septic loans click Pennvest Homeowner Septic Program

Sewage  Facilities Planning Module:  Checklist, Instructions and Application Form


To apply for a Building Permit to build a house or large building, one must have proof of a driveway permit, sewer permit and two copies of the blueprint of the structure to be built (three copies for a commercial building). The township secretary, MaryAnn Tayoun, is the Building Permit Official for Clifford Township.  Most weekdays, she is in the office at the Community Center, 119 Cemetery Street.

Demolition Permit: You will need the Preliminary Information form, proof of ownership, Building Permit/Demolition and please review the following link for a Demolition Permit Checklist and Construction Guidelines from NEIC.  

Please note that you must notify PA One Call at 800-242-1776 or at least 3 days prior to start of any demolition or excavation. Also, all Asbestos shall be removed in accordance with Pennsylvania Department of Envioronmental Portection Air Quality's regulations. Call 717-772-3396 or visit

Building Inspector Options

NEIC     570-280-2111       Applications at    NEIC Fee Schedule

JHA Companies  570-396-2913   Click here to download  JHA Permit Application        JHA  Fee Schedule

BIU is no longer accepting permit applications for Susquehanna County. Please call  570-344-9681 for inspections.      

If you are building a building less then 1,000 square feet and it is accessory to a single family home or an agricultural building,  fill out a Land Use Permit and drop it off at the Township building with a copy of the blue prints.  No permit is needed for a non-permanent/movable/prefabricated structure.

Setbacks still apply - see Ordinance Tab to the left, "Set Back Ordinance 2014." Third ordinance down from the top.

Click here for information aboutAgricultural Buildings Forms and Procedures.

MOBILE HOME REMOVAL GRANT                                               PROPERTY IMPROVEMENT GRANT 

        Any questions?   Call  MaryAnn Tayoun at 570-222-9364 or e-mail

 REMEMBER to call 811 Before You Dig!     Click here for more information.

119 Cemetery Street, PO Box 339

Clifford, PA 18413


M-Th  9am to 1pm

​Call for Appointment

​​​​Clifford Township

Clifford Townships third party uniform construction code enforcement agency ​Northeast Inspection Consultants

 is operating under the following restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic.

​Please click for Enforcementand

Construction-Industry-Guidance for more information.